The course is a intensive hands on introduction to marble sculpting. We will cover all the steps of a sculpture production in a 1 or 2 weeks time frame. You will be able to produce a sculpture but the stone will be a smaller size than the 3 weeks workshop. There will be instruction in all traditional hand and mechanical tools.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN ?
- choosing the block & properties of marble;
- methods and approach: traditional to modern, by hand, pneumatic, mechanical, scan + robotics, comparison of techniques;
- process: roughing out, modeling the form, finishing, polishing, mounting on base;
- tools: in depth and hands on instruction in the correct use of all tools including purpose, sharpening, maintenance;
- tools used are: hand tools, steel and carbide chisels, air hammers, diamond saws, die grinders, electric grinders, bench grinder, polishing materials;
- exercises for: developing manual skills, creativity, comprehension of 3D form, visualization, sketching in stone;
- theory, challenging preconceived ideas and perception, finding your style, intuitive thinking, etc;
- some marble carving history;
Monday – Friday
9:00 - 12:00 studio
12:00 - 13:00 lunch break
13:00 - 17:00 studio
9:00 - 12:30 studio
Along with group lessons and discussions each student is followed individually.
After hours during the week and on the weekends participants are welcome to continue their work indipendently.
1 WEEK COURSE
Course 500 €
Private room with en suite bathroom + 300 € (breakfast included)
Extra non-participating guest + 200 € (breakfast included)
2 WEEKS COURSE
Course 900 €
Private room with en suite bathroom + 600 € (breakfast included)
Extra non-participating guest + 400 € (breakfast included)
We host our guest in our B&B "Almora", just 2 minutes walk from the studio.
(ALL TAX IS INCLUDED)
- daily instructions and demonstrations;
- 1 marble block;
- wooden sculpture stand and air hose;
- use of all tools (some only when the instructors are present and after competency is demonstrated);
- safety glasses and ear protectors;
- personal toolbox;
- assistance moving pieces;
- assistance organizing crates and shipping;
- printed or pdf manual;
- guided visit to other marble studios, bronze foundries, mosaic studios, clay and mould making studio and tool stores;
- crates and shipping cost;
- personal insurance;
- travel expenses;
BOOK THE COURSE
All courses are held from April to June and from September to November and always start on Monday morning. For students that decide to include accommodation check-in will be on Sunday, the day before the beginning of the course. Accompanying family or friends are most welcome, our rooms can accommodate up to 4 people. Breakfast is included. Optional lunches on request.
If our calendar doesn't work with your schedule, or you want to stay longer after the course we offer personalized course length options.